Friday, January 7, 2011

Can I get a student visa after I already arrive in Italy?

Can I get a student visa after I already arrive in Italy?
I leave to Italy on August 1st (coming back on the 20th) and would like to start taking classes for the following 18 days to help learn to speak Italian. Can I get a student visa once I'm already in the country? I can pay for the classes, and get accepted into the school. Money is a non-issue. I'm asking only about the visa. Thanks.
Studying Abroad - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Visas aren't something you just wander into a store and pick up. They take a while to process, and you will not be able to sign up for a school, be accepted, get a student visa, and be able to take your classes. How are you even going to find these classes? Or pay for them?
2 :
If you already have a visa (which you probably don't if you're just going for tourism purposes) you can probably adjust the status once you're there - but this is likely to take the entire duration of the trip. Applying for a new visa would likely require you to leave the country (possibly the EU as well) and allow six weeks for processing, possibly more this time of year. I don't understand why you would need a visa, however, for three weeks of school. I've taken short-term language classes in several European countries and never once had to apply for a student visa. I would recommend double-checking with the school to make sure you're both on the same page.

Read more other entries :