Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Can I change my schengen tourist visa to a type d student visa whilst in italy?

Can I change my schengen tourist visa to a type d student visa whilst in italy?
I currently have a schengen tourist visa (issued by the italian embassy), valid for six months and allows me to travel to all schengen states. I have recently applied to a university in italy, I have been accepted and I am in the process of enrolling. My question is this... If I go to italy on my visitors visa (type c), can I whilst there, change my -visa status- from type c to an Italian type d? OR will I have to leave italy and apply for a new student schengen? Can a italian student schengen be added on anyway? I want to do this as my course starts in a month and I understand that applying for a student visa could take a very long time, and i would like to be able to start as soon as i have applied at the consulate there. I am not extremely worried about loosing my tourist status to a student status, as because my course is longer than a year, I am told that I can apply for temporary italian residency which will also allow me to move freely within the schengen states during my term breaks. Is this true? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find a specific answer. ANY information from someone who has had something similar would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Embassies & Consulates - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No you can't Schengen visas are short term visas issued under set rules. You cannot convert a Schengen visa into a national longer term study visa. Italy does not allow you to apply for national visas while in the country, so you have to apply for such a visa from outside of the country.

Read more other entries :