Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How much time can I spend in Italy, student visa issues?

How much time can I spend in Italy, student visa issues?
Next year I'm planning on studying in Florence with my colleges foreign exchange program, but I'm not very clear on when I'll be allowed back to Italy, or if I'll be allowed to go with the program at all. I normally spend my summers in Italy with my fiancé (who is an Italian citizen), but I stay within the basic Schengen Agreement tourist time (90 days). What I don't know is after I come back from spending those 90 days, will I be allowed to get a student visa to return first semester? It would still be withing the 180 day period, but since visa's allow you to stay longer, I'm not sure whether it would be allowed. Also if it was allowed, would the time compound? Would I have to wait even longer than 90 days to return again on regular tourist time? Oh and I'm a United States citizen.
Other - Italy - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The Student Visa is completely different to entering Italy under the Schengen visa waiver scheme. For one trip you will be a tourist, for the other a bona fide student and that is how Italian immigration will see it. The 90 days out of every 180 days only applies to entering Italy as a tourist. Once you enter on the student visa this will supercede the Schengen tourist visa. The length of your student visa depends on the amount of time you will be studying in Italy. Just fill in the student visa form from the Italian Embassy's website, and make sure you've provided all the requested information. The Embassy will then issue a visa allowing you to stay in Italy for the time it takes to complete your course. Once your study is finished, you should be able to re-enter Italy as a tourist. By the time you've finished your course, your original 180 will be up anyway.

Read more other entries :