Saturday, March 1, 2014

How would an African-American foreign exchange student be treated in Italy High school?

How would an African-American foreign exchange student be treated in Italy High school?
I plan on doing my 11th grade of high school in Italy through a foreign exchange program called YFU. It sounds great and everything, but I'm super nervous. Not only am I going to be away from my mom for a year, but I'll be in a country where people speak a different native language than I do. I'm excited, but I know that I will stand out because not only am I american, but I'm black. How will I be treated? Are people going to be mean to me? I'm shy when it comes to people I don't know, are they going to think I'm stand-offish? I'm friendly, but I'm quiet also. What will high school be like for me?
Rome - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hi, I am Italian. In Italy these discriminations between white and black people don't exist. We don't have a past of slavery, so none will put attention on you colour but on your brain. Have a nice time during your holiday. Ciao!
2 :
I am not Italian, but I have spent 4 months there last year. And I noticed that Italians hate black people, since the majority of them work in black market (selling handbags and sunglasses replicas). I often heard people discriminating black, (I can still remember the tour guide lady from my first trip). Italy is a very nice place and my favorite country ever, but I advise you to visit Italy as a tourist first. Being away from your mom for one year is difficult. Please think about this thoroughly, high school is already tough to go through. Best of luck

Read more other entries :